Set in a post-apocalyptic world of ruin and rubble, populated almost exclusively by robots, we are introduced to Casshern; a cyborg who is mostly human in appearance. Suffering from amnesia, the only thing Casshern knows about himself is that everyone wants to kill him. Having no choice, Casshern is forced to fight.
Throughout the episodes Casshern's origins are revealed. We discover:
- At some point in history robots developed the ability to think for themselves and realized they - like humans - will eventually die.
- The fear of death created the perfect environment for a mean, hateful dictator to rule the world with an iron fist.
- After years of repression, a glimpse of hope was discovered in the form of a pure, innocent child named Luna, whose popularity among the masses grew to be enormous.
- The dictator saw Luna as a threat and vowed to have her assassinated.
- The assassin was Casshern, he was successful and the world plunged into despair.
As we follow Casshern through a desolate wasteland on his quest to discover his true identity, we find he is humble and seemingly invincible, and he must confront the fact that he is ultimately responsible for the complete destruction of the world.
Directed by Shigeyasu Yamauchi (responsible for directing multiple episodes of Dragonball Z) and animated by Yoshihiko Umakoshi (the key animator for the Fullmetal Alchemist TV series and Cowboy Beebop the movie), Casshern Sins is one of the strongest animation series to come out of Japan in 2008.
Features Episodes 1-24 in their original Japanese audio with English subtitles, presented in a PAL colour format.